- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled plum tomatoes with juice
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add beef and cook, breaking up with a spoon until no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and juice, breaking up tomatoes. Simmer over medium heat until thickened and saucy, 45 to 60 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
yield: 5 cups
time: about an hour
source: Martha Stewart