- 1 1/2 lbs skinless cod fillets (1 to 1 1/2 inches thick), cut into 1 1/2- to 2- inch pieces
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, plus 1/4 cup chopped
- 4 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/4 TBSP lemon juice
- 6 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, halved and sliced through root end 1/4-inch thick
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced on bias 1/4 inch thick
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1/3 cup pitted green olives, quartered lengthwise
- 2 TBSP finely chopped preserved lemon
- Place cod in bowl and toss with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Pulse cilantro leaves, garlic, cumin, paprika , and cayenne in food processor until cilantro and garlic are finely chopped, about 12 pulses. Add lemon juice and pulse briefly to combine. Transfer mixture to small bowl and stir in 2 tablespoons oil. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1/4 cup oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion, bell pepper, carrot, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and their juice, olives, and preserved lemon. Spread mixture in even layer on bottom of pot.
- Toss cod with cilantro mixture until evenly coated, then arrange cod over vegetables in single layer. Cover and cook until cod starts to turn opaque and juices from cod are simmering vigorously, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat and let stand, covered, until cod is opaque and just cooked through (cod should register 140 degrees), 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve.
yield: 4 servings
time: 40 minutes
source: Cook’s Illustrated, July-August 2020, pp.10-11