- 2 and ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package instant yeast (1 packet = 2 and ¼ teaspoons)
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 Tablespoons milk or coffee
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and turn off after 10 minutes or just before placing rolls in oven.
- Make dough: In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, salt, and yeast together until evenly dispersed. Set aside. In a small microwavable bowl or mixing cup, heat the water, milk, and butter together in the microwave until the butter is melted (about 30-45 seconds or until mixture is 120°F – 130°F). Stir the butter mixture into the flour mixture. Add the egg and knead with hand or stand mixer for 3-4 minutes or until the dough is no longer sticky. Place in a lightly greased bowl and let rest, covered, for about 5 minutes.
- Make filling and prep the rolls: Put parchment paper into a 9×13 pan, then lightly grease it.
After the dough has rested for 5 minutes, lightly flour the rolling pin and surface, then roll it out in a 15×9 inch rectangle. Spread the softened butter on top. Mix the cinnamon and sugar together and sprinkle it all over the dough. Roll up the dough tightly. Using a 12-inch strand of unflavored dental floss, slide the floss under the roll, bring the two ends together and cross them to cut the roll into 9 or 12 evenly sized pieces. Place the pieces into your pan and lightly cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- Proof the rolls: Ensure that the oven is turned off and place the cinnamon buns in the oven to rise for 20 minutes.
- Make the glaze: Mix the powdered sugar, vanilla and 2 Tablespoons milk together until smooth and lump free.
- Cook the rolls: Keep the buns in the oven (REMOVE THE FOIL OR PLASTIC) and turn on the oven to 375F. Bake the cinnamon rolls for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and drizzle glaze over warm rolls.
Adapted from https://therecipecritic.com/quick-45-minute-cinnamon-rolls/