- 1 (3-4 lb) boneless pork butt roast, pulled apart at seams, trimmed, and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 6 (3 inch) strips orange zest plus 1/2 cup of juice (we have also made this with tangerines and it has been even more delicious)
- 2 onions (chopped fine)
- 1 TBSP minced canned chipotle chili in adobo sauce
- 1 TBSP minced fresh oregano (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 TBSP lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- 1 1/2 TBSP cornstarch
- 18 (6 inch) corn tortillas, warmed or 8 large flour tortillas
- Optional: Thinly sliced radishes, tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro, guacamole for garnish
- Combine pork, orange zest and juice, 1.5 onions, chipotle, oregano, sugar, cumin, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and bay leaf in multicooker.
- Lock lid in place and close pressure release valve. Select high pressure cook function and cook for 25 minutes. Turn off multicooker and let pressure release naturally for 15 minutes. Quick-release any remaining pressure, and then carefully remove lid, allowing steam to escape away from you.
- Remove pork from instapot. Discard orange zest and bay leaf. Shred any remaining large chunks with two large forks.
- Let braising liquid settle, then skim excess fat form surface using large spoon. Combine cornstarch with 1 TBSP water to make a slurry. Add slurry to juices and using highest saute or browning function, cook until sauce thickens (usually within a minute of when liquid boils). Stir lime juice into pork and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add sauce to taste. Serve pork with warm tortillas, chopped onion, cilantro, radishes, and lime wedges.
This recipe also works great spooned over rice, if you find yourself without tortillas handy because supermarkets have been cleaned to the bone because of an ongoing pandemic.
SLOW COOK RECIPE: REPLACE STEP 2 WITH THE FOLLOWING:
Lock lid in place and open pressure release valve. Select low slow cook function and cook until pork is tender, 2 to 3 hours (if using Instant Pot, select high slow cook function and increase cooking range to 7 to 8 hours). Turn off multicooker and carefully remove lid, allowing steam to escape away from you.